Covid-19 has shaken the world in different ways. While still when the entire world is still grappling with trying to control the effects of the deadly virus, some are struggling to come to terms with life after infection. Whereas one would feel fortunate to have escaped the deadly grasp of the pandemic having recovered from the infection, to find a peaceful life after is still a major concern. On one hand, the symptoms and effects during the infection phase have been varied, the symptoms after infection and recovery can be termed nothing short of strange.
The post-infection recovery phase has brought to the limelight, unique symptoms that have been reported everywhere. Body pain, overall weakness, incessant cough and shortness of breath have been continuously reported. But another major side effect post-Covid infection has been the reports of hair fall in many. Though hair fall is normal in people, the quantity of the loss of hair during this after infection phase is what is concerning.
Telogen Effluvium must not be overlooked?
For an average human being shredding of 50-100 strands of hair in a day must be considered regular. But excessive hair fall when recovering from and after Covid-19 is resulting in close to 300-400 strands in a day. “Telogen Effluvium” is a sudden loss of hair related to stress that may have accompanied the infection. This can affect people of any age. Researchers are still trying to find the exact solutions for such large amounts of loss of hair after the Covid-19 infection. But, it can be understood that in some ways loss of immunity affects the health of hair. Reduction in the natural immunity of the body coupled with the nutritional deficiencies and loss of natural antioxidants can be cited as the reasons. The body needs replenishment of vitamins, minerals and antioxidants that may have depleted during the ailment phase. The human body needs its own time and has to go through a natural cycle for this replenishment. During this time, one must contribute towards this by eating healthy and letting our body cope with the changes. These can help curb intense hair loss. This period can be for 4-5 months. Incessant hair fall even after 5 months must be immediately looked into and visiting a doctor for further treatment and therapy must be considered.
Remedies for Telogen Effluvium
- Diet is the most important factor in fighting Telogen Effluvium. Going back to the roots and consuming more green leafy vegetables, fruits, grams and pulses is the right way to go.
- Add yoghurt, eggs, chicken and fish for more protein in the diet.
- Reducing stress and helping your mind ease through the difficult phase helps too. Stress is the most important reason for hair fall. Indulge in activities that fulfil your daily life and give you happiness every day.
- The human body needs enough sleep to complete its natural cycle for effective functioning of all systems, the lack of which will cause conditions like hair fall. Make sure you get enough sleep in a day.
- Avoid the intake of junk food and drinks.
- Moderate exercise every day will keep mind and body fit and contribute to strong hair follicles and overall good health.
- Activities like yoga help the body and mind relax and help in boosting health.
- Ayurvedic therapies help in the overall rejuvenation of the body and help to find the path towards better health after a difficult physical ailment, emotional stress etc. Natural ayurvedic therapies are found to contribute towards better health for hair too.